Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan has been in custody for more than three weeks now. His bail application in the Mumbai cruise drugs case has been rejected by both the magistrate court and the special NDPS court. Now, his plea has reached the Bombay High Court.
On Tuesday, the Bombay High Court will hear Aryan Khan’s bail application. After the special court rejected his plea on October 20, his legal team led by Satish Maneshinde moved the high court, which agreed to hear the case on Tuesday, October 26.
As per the latest information, Aryan Khan’s bail plea has been listed at serial number 57 in the Bombay High Court. Meanwhile, the bail plea of co-accused Arbaaz Merchant has been listed at serial number 64. The Narcotics Control Bureau will oppose the bail of all accused in the case, including Aryan Khan, in the high court on Tuesday.
It remains to be seen whether Aryan Khan will finally walk out of jail on Tuesday or not.
RECAP: WHAT IS THE MUMBAI CRUISE DRUGS CASE?
Aryan Khan was arrested after the NCB, led by Sameer Wankhede, conducted a raid on the Cordelia Cruises’ Empress ship off the coast of Mumbai on October 2. A rave party was allegedly taking place on the ship. However, no drugs were found on Aryan Khan, as per an NCB official.
NCB sleuths said they seized 13 grams of cocaine, 5 grams of MD, 21 grams of charas, 22 pills of MDMA (ecstasy) and Rs 1.33 lakh in cash during the raid. The NCB has, so far, arrested 20 people in the case.
Aryan Khan has been lodged in jail since October 3 and his bail application has been rejected more than once. Meanwhile, the NCB’s investigation is underway and actor Ananya Panday was called for questioning twice last week on the basis of WhatsApp chats found on Aryan Khan’s mobile phone.
The case has now taken a new turn with several questions being raised on the conduct of NCB zonal director Sameer Wankhede, who has been leading the investigation in the case.
WHAT’S THE LATEST?
EXTORTION CHARGES AGAINST SAMEER WANKHEDE
On Sunday, an independent witness in the Mumbai cruise drugs case alleged that Rs 25 crore had been demanded on behalf of Sameer Wankhede for the release of Shah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan.
Prabhakar Sail, the independent witness in the case, also said in a notarised affidavit that he was made to sign a blank panchnama.
Following these allegations, the NCB released a public statement saying the issue had been forwarded to the Director General of the agency. Sameer Wankhede denied all allegations and wrote a letter to the Mumbai Police Commissioner seeking protection from “precipitate legal action”.
On Monday, both the NCB and Sameer Wankhede filed affidavits in the Mumbai sessions court. The NCB also announced that an inquiry against Sameer Wankhede had been launched. Meanwhile, Prabhakar Sail was provided security by the Mumbai Police.
SAMEER WANKHEDE IN DELHI
On Monday, Sameer Wankhede arrived in the national capital, prompting many to think that he had been summoned to the NCB headquarters due to the inquiry launched against him. However, he clarified on reaching Delhi that he had come for some other purpose. As per reports, Sameer Wankhede will attend a review meeting at the NCB headquarters in New Delhi on Tuesday.
NAWAB MALIK RAISES QUESTIONS ON WANKHEDE’S IDENTITY
However, Prabhakar Sail’s allegations aren’t the only ones that have been levelled against Sameer Wankhede in the last couple of days.
On Monday, Maharashtra minister Nawab Malik, who has been hitting out at Sameer Wankhede since the beginning of the investigation, posted a photograph of what he claimed was the NCB zonal director’s birth certificate.
Sameer Dawood Wankhede pic.twitter.com/rjdOkPs4T6
— Nawab Malik (@nawabmalikncp) October 25, 2021
He claimed that Sameer Wankhede is Muslim and suggested that he had forged his caste certificate in order to claim a civil services seat reserved for those belonging to Scheduled Castes.
Sameer Wankhede and his family members denied these allegations.