India and China held the 13th round of the Corps Commander-level meeting on Sunday to resolve the ongoing stand-off along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh. India, however, said “the Chinese side was not agreeable” to the suggestion provided by the Indian side to resolve the matter.
In a fresh statement released on Monday, India said that during the meeting, it “made constructive suggestions for resolving the remaining areas [ along the LAC] but the Chinese side was not agreeable and also could not provide any forward-looking proposals.”
Hence, “the meeting did not result in the resolution of the remaining areas”, the statement said. However, the two sides have agreed to maintain communications and stability on the ground.
The Indian side further emphasised that the resolution of the remaining areas would facilitate progress in bilateral relations.
“It is our expectation that the Chinese side will take into account the overall perspective of bilateral relations and will work towards early resolution of the remaining issues while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols,” the statement read.
The India-China military talks took place in the backdrop of two recent incidents of attempted transgressions by the Chinese troops – one in the Barahoti sector of Uttarakhand and another in the Tawang sector in Arunachal Pradesh.
‘China’s attempts to alter status quo along LAC’
India also held the Chinese side responsible for the “violation of the bilateral agreements” and “altering the status quo”.
During the meeting, “the Indian side pointed out that the situation along the LAC had been caused by unilateral attempts of the Chinese side to alter the status quo and in violation of the bilateral agreements”, read the statement released by India on Monday.
India, therefore, urged China to take steps “to restore peace and tranquillity along the LAC”.
“It was, therefore, necessary that the Chinese side take appropriate steps in the remaining areas so as to restore peace and tranquillity along the LAC in the Western Sector,” the statement read.
“This would also be in accord with the guidance provided by the two Foreign Ministers in their recent meeting in Dushanbe where they had agreed that the two sides should resolve the remaining issues at the earliest,” India’s statement further read.
India, China hold talks on LAC standoff
India and China held the 13th Corps Commander-level talks on the Ladakh standoff on October 10. The meeting, which started at 10:30 am, lasted for around eight-and-half hours, and concluded at 7 pm.
The 13th round of military talks was held in Moldo on the Chinese side of the LAC in eastern Ladakh. The Indian delegation was led by Lt Gen PGK Menon, the Commander of the Leh-based 14 Corps.
The two sides discussed disengagement from the Hot Springs area in eastern Ladakh, Indian Army sources said.
The border standoff between the Indian and Chinese militaries erupted on May 5 last year following a violent clash in the Pangong lake areas. Both sides gradually enhanced their deployment by rushing in tens of thousands of soldiers as well as heavy weaponry.
The two sides held the 12th round of high-level military talks on July 31. Following the meet, the two armies completed the disengagement process in Gogra in August.
Presently, each side has around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sensitive sector.