Two people in Bugangari sub county in Rukungiri district have been confirmed dead due to suspected poisoning by carbon monoxide as they burnt charcoal.
Elly Maate, the Kigezi Region police spokesperson identified the deceased as Dickson Nabaasa, 19; a Senior 3 student at Makobore High School, and one Justus Busasi 30.
Both victims were working as casual labourers for Rev. Fr. Odeda Felix Eugine of Kabale Diocese.
On Friday 17th September 2021 at around 8:00pm, the deceased reportedly began preparations to burn charcoal for their boss.
They set up the fire in the kiln before they went to sleep nearby.
The following morning on Saturday 18th September 2021, their colleague Hillary Mugabe, who had remained home taking care of animals woke up to milk the cows and noticed a lot of soot from the kiln, an indication that it was not being attended to.
From a distance, he says he saw his colleagues lying on a tarpaulin and on arrival he found that they were dead.
The village chairman Mondo Habasa Wilbroad was notified who in turn called in the police.
Mondo said this incident was the first of its kind in the area. He encouraged people carrying out the same activity to always sleep away from charcoal burning to avoid Carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to Maate, the postmortem results indicated that the duo died of carbon monoxide poisoning.